6:00pm-8:00pm, 22 October 2020
An Evening Bat Walk
Wrap up, bring your torch and learn about these elusive creatures on a guided walk around Hospitalfield’s grounds with our bat expert before they enter winter hibernation.
We are lucky enough to have 18 species of bat in the UK, 9 of which are known to be breeding in Scotland. On this walk you will be able to hear Hospitalfield bat species navigating by echolocation. Bats use echolocation or sonar to hunt for their food but these calls are too high pitched for most humans so we use specialist equipment and a technique called heterodyning, which brings high pitched frequencies that bats use to a pitch that we can hear.
This bat watching walk will be led by local bat conservation guide Ken Slater and marks the beginning point of the on-site research for artist Hanna Tuulikki’s new project Listening in the Dark. In the development of this new work for Hospitalfield, Tuulikki will tune into more-than-human rhythms and frequencies, to explore the interconnections of bat echolocation and embodied dance music as a model for ecological coexistence.
This event is suitable for children 8 and over. Wear warm clothes and shoes suitable for potentially muddy ground and bring a torch.
Refreshments included. Join us for takeaway spiced apple cake and a hot chocolate.
Booking is essential as limited spaces available.
Meeting point is in front of Hospitalfield House.
Thursday 22 October 2020
Walk One: 6pm – 7pm (45mins followed by refreshments)
Walk Two: 7pm – 8pm (45mins followed by refreshments)
Book your tickets
Please see our Covid-19 adjustments
- Outdoor education and health walks can take place with a maximum group of 30 people, adhering to physical distancing measures.
- Social distancing of 2m will be maintained for those from different households and routes have been planned to avoid busy areas.
- You may be required to walk single file when paths become narrow.
- You will be required to provide you telephone number when you register for this event. (This is necessary for track & trace or any emergencies).
- Please do not attend if you are experiencing any symptoms of Covid-19.
- Masks should be worn in enclosed spaces
This walk is part of the Meander project initiated by Hospitalfield and supported by Paths for All.